Thursday, August 6, 2009

Just say NO to the Dress - A rant.

Recently I was watching an episode of "Say Yes To the Dress", which to begin with has wrong written all over it as it represents everything that annoys me about weddings but I was stuck in a hotel room and there wasn't much else on. This episode was about the budget minded bride and how the economy was affecting how much a bride was willing to spend on their dress (duh!).

The words of wisdom imparted from the manager to the consultants before the store opened for the day was that because of the economy being what it was when a bride says their budget is x amount don't bother to try and sell them xx amount because they aren't going to have room in their budget regardless of how much they love the more expensive dress.

First, WTF. I think its terrible that the shops are blatant about their planned up selling to brides on a regular day. Why is that just because the economy sucks now you shouldn't bother up selling to a bride? Why can't you just respect the bride's budget regardless of the economic situation.

Secondly, WTF to the brides. If you don't have money you shouldn't be shopping in an extremely expensive bridal salon! Why tempt yourself with something that is way above your budget.

Through out the show they do the individual interviews with future brides and consultants. One consultant explains to the camera that when you are working with a smaller budget you should cut your guest list and spend less on flowers so that you have more to buy your perfect dress with. Seriously?! If money is an issue I personally think you are deluding yourself if you think cutting back in some places just so you can afford a $10,000 is a wise move. Why not cut back EVERYWHERE and maybe, just maybe you won't go into debt over the wedding and have some money left over to start off your married life?

It bothers me that these wedding "reality" shows (which I'm guilty of watching) insist that you can have a budget friendly wedding and still have the extremely expensive items that particular show is promoting. It doesn't work like that.

Of course if you have the money and you want to by the $10000 wedding dress then go for it, if that's your thing. I personally would rather spend my money on entertaining my guests, good food, a honeymoon or future plans, not a dress that I will wear for ONE day of my life. But that's just me.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! Yeah, mom's pretty good at taking tons of photos. And I have photoshop so I'll be helping her edit! Thanks!

    Also - I agree with your Say NO to the dress. That show drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't imagine spending 10K on anything but a car. I spent $750ish on my wedding dress and I think it looked like a million bucks!
    As for spending $$ on our wedding. It was all paid for with what little money I had left from my paycheck after the bills were paid. I think it turned out just fine. We ended up married, and that WAS the goal after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch...$750 hurts just as much. My momma made my dress for $50.00...that's pattern, fabric and all the trimmings. And I fully agree, the goal is to be married, not try to upstage the bride from the last wedding you were at (which seems to be the current theme). Thank god I went away!!

    ReplyDelete