Thursday, November 18, 2010

Looking After the Pennies: Table Wine


As the saying goes: "Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves" and since I would like to stay as close to my budget as possible throughout my wedding planning this is advice that I need to continually remind myself of.

Where I live alcohol is regulated, distributed and sold through a provincial liquor commission which means I don't have the option of going to a Costco or other wholesaler to purchase bulk quantities of alcohol to serve at my wedding. (And making my own wine is not a project I'm ready to tackle)

But something they do offer for the budget savvy is Bottle & Cork which is a bulk wine facility that is fully-equipped for bottling a selection of wines which are all priced at only $6.29/bottle. You need to purchase them in multiples of 12 but you can mix and match up to two types in one case.

For a case of 12 x 750ml Glass Bottles it would only cost $9.95 more per case, which means I wouldn't have to bother tracking do and cleaning dozens of bottles making it completely worth it.

As most inexpensive bottles of wine run at least $10/bottle, going this route will potentially save me $35/dozen.

And because these are going into labelless bottles, using them to identify table numbers seems like a perfect fit. I really like the simplicity of these...


{via The Bride's Cafe}

The next step is to decide what white and red taste the best. The choices are:

  1. Chardonnay
  2. Torrontes
  3. Shiraz
  4. Cabernet Sauvignon
  5. Merlot/Cabernet

I this is a perfect excuse for a wine tasting party!

No comments:

Post a Comment