Monday, November 15, 2010

Choosing My Vendors: The Main Course

Originally...before my engagement even became a reality...I had thought that I would cater my own wedding, which I've written multiple posts on (like this one) but since I am having a potential 200 guests and the logistics of bringing all of the food to the venue, not to mention warming it, turned out to be a little daunting.



The first caterer that I contacted was the Tallest Poppy, a local restaurant that sources their locally and are just plain delicious. Unfortunately they only cater a maximum of 130 people due to their kitchen capacity.



{source}

After I got over my disappointment (well I don't think I'll ever be completely over it because I really do love them) I started my search for a caterer that:

  1. Could handle my guest list size
  2. Would travel 40 minutes outside of the city to my venue
  3. Serve delicious food
  4. Charge a reasonable price
  5. Most importantly, 'get' my vision for a family style meal.

Luckily my best friend is wonderful and tracked down a local BBQ caterer online and sent me their contact information.

Tailgators BBQ Pit are amazing. When I emailed them they got back to me quickly and were very responsive to all of my requests. They were very accommodating to all my ideas and are willing to adjust the menu for my vegetarian guests & kids. The only thing I needed to confirm was whether their food was delicious. Conveniently our office has catered lunches brought in every Friday for our staff of 25, so I arranged for them to prepare a 'sample' spread plus a few additional items for me to take home for my mister (who loved everything). On top of trying their food I was able to survey my coworkers on what they thought and everyone loved it.

Currently my main course menu goes like this:

  • BBQ Chicken & Smoked Ribs
  • Creamed Corn
  • Smashed Potatoes
  • Guinness Baked Beans
  • Cranberry Coleslaw
  • Buns

And the cherry on the top...they are very reasonably priced.

No comments:

Post a Comment