Sunday, March 20, 2011

Rethinking our honeymoon

A few months ago if you were to ask me where we were going on our honeymoon I would have told you we would be going for a few weeks to the North island of New Zealand but then a few things happened...

  1. The 6.3 magnitude earthquake in Christchurch New Zealand, followed by the earthquakes in Japan. - Not exactly inspiring confidence in my worrisome fiancee

  2. The 12 hour flight still wasn't sitting well with previously mentioned worrisome fiancee

  3. The most important point...because lets face it, I could change my Mr's mind if I was dead set on going to New Zealand...we want to start trying to have a baby this fall and I don't know if you have heard but they aren't cheap! Especially since we need to add an addition to our house to fit one in! So I can't justify saving money on a wedding just to blow it on a trip...all be it a beautiful one.

Since we have decided to put New Zealand on the back burner for now, we have to come up with a new location. To save money and to cut down on travel time I am focusing my search to Canadian spots.

I love the east coast and my Mr has never been but I think the west coast is more what we are looking for...its the closest to the new and wild New Zealand landscapes we will find in Canada...specifically Vancouver island in British Columbia.

I've started researching the different resorts and I am currently in love with the Pacific Sands Beach Resort in Tofino. It is a little pricey but if we stay there for three nights and travel the rest of the island for the other 3 nights it would be very affordable.


{Ocean view from Suite via Pacific Sands resort}


{Birds eye view of the resort and beach}


While we are there some of the activities that we can do are....

{Whale Watching with West Coast Aquatic Safaris}


{Kayaking}


{visit the Pacific Rim National Park Reserve}


Or maybe get enough nerve to try zip lining...although if you watched the first episode of the TV show Off the Map, I don't know....

WestCoast Wild Adventures Zipline from Cyclops on Vimeo.

When it came to planning your honeymoon did you need to do a 180 degree turn and switch your plans because of financial or other reasons? Where are you going?

1 comment:

  1. We haven't really thought a lot about where we're going to go, but I'd love to go somewhere like New Zealand or Fiji. I'm not sure if that's quite in the budget, but hopefully something amazing turns up for us!

    ReplyDelete